Am I Eligible?

​​After you complete the form to Request DORS Services, you will be contacted to set up an intake meeting where a DORS counselor will gather information about you that will help find out if you are eligible for DORS services.

In order to be eligible for DORS employment or student services, you must have a physical or mental disability that seriously affects your ability to work, and you must need employment rehabilitation services in order to get or keep a job.

DORS also provides independent living services to individuals who are 55 or older and who are blind or have a vision impairment. For more information go to the Independent Living Older Blind page.

If you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and/or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), you are presumed eligible for DORS services.

If I am eligible, when will I get DORS services?

That depends on how serious or "significant" your disability is.

Since DORS does not have enough resources to serve everyone who is eligible, DORS will determine if you have a "significant," "most significant," or "non-severe" disability. By law, DORS is required to provide services to people with most significant disabilities first.

Most of the time, you would be considered to have a significant disability if you have a physical or mental disability that limits your ability to function in one or more of these areas:

  • The ability to walk.
  • The ability to use your arms and hands.
  • The ability to talk.
  • The ability to take care of your personal needs.
  • The ability to get along with others.
  • The ability to adapt to the work place.

If you are blind or deaf, have moderate or severe cognitive disabilities, or have epilepsy (and have not been seizure-free for two years), you automatically meet the definition of a significant disability.

​Even if you have a significant disability, there may be a waiting list for services.

You may be considered to have a most significant disability if there are substantial limitations in three or more of those areas.

If you have a (non-severe) disability that has a mild effect on working and you do not have a serious limitation in the functional areas, DORS will not be able to provide services. You may want to get help with employment from your local American Job Center or a community college.

Clipart of a medical clipboard. 

Don't forget to bring any medical, school and job training records, as well as a list of your previous jobs to the first appointment with your DORS counselor.
Clipart of a resume.

Human Trafficking GET HELP

National Human Trafficking Hotline - 24/7 Confidential

1-888-373-7888 233733 More Information
on human trafficking in Maryland

Help Stop Fraud in State Government

The Maryland General Assembly’s Office of Legislative Audits operates a toll-free fraud hotline to receive allegations of fraud and/or abuse of State government resources. Information reported to the hotline in the past has helped to eliminate certain fraudulent activities and protect State resources.

More Information