Information for Schools

​​DORS Transition Services for Students with Disabilities

Who should be referred to DORS?

A "Student with a Disability" is defined as someone who:

  1. Is enrolled in a secondary school (including home school or other alternative secondary education program), post-secondary education program, or another recognized educational program and has not graduated or withdrawn.
  2. Is at least 14 years old but less than age 22.
  3. And has a disability documented with an Individualized Education Program (IEP), 504 plan or medical record.

All students with disabilities, as defined above, can be referred to DORS.

What services should students be referred for?

A student with a disability who would like the opportunity to experience and explore the worlds of work and post-secondary education, and identify their career interests via short-term services, should be referred for Pre-Employment Transition Services (Pre-ETS).

A student with a disability who would like to receive Pre-ETS and also obtain or prepare for meaningful employment and a successful career via a broad range of vocational rehabilitation services, should be referred for Student Employment Services.

When should I refer students to DORS?

Students with disabilities who are interested in Pre-ETS or Student Employment Services can be referred to DORS when they are at least 14 years of age.

Once the school has gained the family's consent for referral to DORS, fill out the online Request DORS Services form to complete the referral for the student.

Schools can also encourage families to complete the online Request DORS Services form on their own if they don't provide consent for the school to refer.

What is the Eligibility Process?​

Students with disabilities, as defined above, automatically qualify for Pre-ETS.​

For Student Employment Services, DORS will review available documentation from schools or doctors and arrange for other assessments as necessary to help determine the student's eligibility​​ for services.

​If the student is found eligible for Student Employment Services, DORS will also make a determination of priority based on the sign​ificance of the student's disability. This determination is based on the number of functional areas (such as mobility and self-care) seriously limited by the disability.

DORS may require a copy of the student's IEP, most recent psychological testing or medical documentation of disability, and most recent triennial evaluation to determine eligibility for services.

Is there a Waiting List?

If a student qualifies for Pre-ETS, as defined above, there is no waiting list.

For additional individualized Student Employment Services beyond Pre-ETS, federal law requires that students with the "Most Significant Disabilities" must be served first; therefore, some students will be placed on the Waiting List for additional DORS services.

IEP, IPE and Pre-ETS Agreement

DORS counselors want to participate in student IEP meetings and be part of the planning outlined in the IEP document. If you have parent/guardian consent, please invite DORS liaisons to IEP meetings so that whenever possible they can be an active participant on the transition team.

Upon request of a student with a disability interested in Pre-ETS, a Pre-ETS Agreement will be completed. This document will confirm the available services requested by the student. The student and the student’s parent/guardian are required to sign the Pre-ETS Agreement.

If a student is eligible for Student Employment Services (and can be served bas​ed on the significance of the disability), the student will complete an Individualized Plan for Employment (IPE). Their DORS counselor, family or school personnel may assist in the development of this plan at the student’s request. The IPE is developed in consideration of the goals and objectives of the student’s IEP.

The IPE lists:

  • The employment goal.
  • The services needed to reach that goal (which may include Pre-ETS for students with a disability, as defined above).
  • Who will provide services.
  • Who will pay for services.
  • How the services will be evaluated.
  • When employment is expected to occur.

The IPE also describes the responsibilities of both the individual and DORS. Once the IPE is approved by DORS, Student Employment Services can begin.


Resources for Schools

Three women, two standing, one sitting, at a DORS resource table and with a DORS sign. 

DORS transition counselors work with school personnel to assist students with disabilities getting ready to leave high school.

Human Trafficking GET HELP

National Human Trafficking Hotline - 24/7 Confidential

1-888-373-7888 233733 More Information
on human trafficking in Maryland

Help Stop Fraud in State Government

The Maryland General Assembly’s Office of Legislative Audits operates a toll-free fraud hotline to receive allegations of fraud and/or abuse of State government resources. Information reported to the hotline in the past has helped to eliminate certain fraudulent activities and protect State resources.

More Information