Student Employment Services

What are Student Employment Services?

Student Employment Services help students with disabilities prepare for and obtain employment in a career field of their interest, making at least minimum wage and working with peers without identified disabilities. Services are individualized to the student’s career goal and specific needs. Student Employment Services can include Pre-Employment Transition Services (Pre-ETS).​

Student Employment Services​ Video​

​​Student Employment Services may include:

  • Career counseling and decision making based on the student's interests, abilities, and goals.
  • Skills and job training to prepare for employment.
  • Disability-related skills training.
  • Post-secondary education.
  • Job search and job placement services.
  • Job coaching and supported employment services.
  • Assistive technology solutions for disability-related needs.
  • Pre-Employment Transition Services (Pre-ETS)

Who qualifies for Student Employment Services ?

  • Student Employment Services are subject to eligibility requirements.
  • See DORS eligibility page for details.
  • Your DORS counselor will provide more information.

How can a student get started with Student Employment Services?

Anyone may request DORS Student Employment Services by completing a Request DORS Services form.

This form can be completed by anyone – student, parent, a medical provider, and others, etc. Often referrals are made by local school staff with parental consent at the time of a student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP) or 504 annual meeting. This is part of how DORS and the local school systems work together toward the best possible post-school outcomes for students.

After the Request DORS Services form is received, DORS will contact the student and family via email, text or letter, and assign the request to the appropriate staff. Another contact will then be made by email or phone to schedule an intake meeting and give specific information regarding the needed materials for the meeting.

Student Employment Services Intake Meeting

What documents are needed for the Intake meeting?

  • Student's Social Security number
  • Documentation of disability (most recent medical records, IEP, 504 Plan, etc.)
  • Documentation confirming the student is in school (IEP or 504 Plan)

What happens after the Intake Meeting?

DORS staff will review all the information provided to determine if the student is eligible for Student Employment Services. If additional information is needed to determine eligibility, assessments may be scheduled. Once eligibility determination is complete, the student will a receive a letter providing information about next steps.

Is there a waiting list for DORS Student Employment Services?

According to Federal law, students with the most significant disabilities must be served first, therefore some students will be placed on the DORS Waiting List. Students who are found eligible for Student Employment Services, but are placed on the Waiting List, may still receive Pre-Employment Transition Services (Pre-ETS).

Who Pays for DORS Student Employment Services?

The student's DORS counselor will provide information about who pays for services and help look for other sources of funding.

Student Employment Services Contacts:

Age 18 to 21, but not a Student?
Please see DORS services for Job Seekers with Disabilities.

A man and a woman holding files and standing, and one woman sitting at a desk, holding a docuement.

DORS counselors who are transition specialists work with school personnel to assist students with disabilities getting ready to leave high school.

Human Trafficking GET HELP

National Human Trafficking Hotline - 24/7 Confidential

1-888-373-7888 233733 More Information
on human trafficking in Maryland

Help Stop Fraud in State Government

The Maryland General Assembly’s Office of Legislative Audits operates a toll-free fraud hotline to receive allegations of fraud and/or abuse of State government resources. Information reported to the hotline in the past has helped to eliminate certain fraudulent activities and protect State resources.

More Information