About DORS

​The Maryland Division of Rehabilitation Services (DORS) offers programs and services that help people with disabilities go to work.

DORS Vision & Mission

Our shared vision is that the State of Maryland is the best place in our nation for persons with disabilities to live, work and raise a family. Individuals with disabilities are welcome, fully included and actively participate in all Maryland communities.

The mission of DORS is to provide leadership and support in promoting the employment, economic self-sufficiency and independence of individuals with disabilities.

What is DORS?

DORS is an agency of the Maryland State Department of Education. DORS is composed of the public vocational rehabilitation (VR) program and the Disability Determination Services. The public VR program includes:

  • The Office of Field Services, which prepares people with disabilities to go to work, stay on the job, or prepare for the world of work. Rehabilitation counselors in offices throughout Maryland provide or arrange for services that may include career counseling, assistive technology, vocational training and/or job placement assistance.

  • The Office for Blindness & Vision Services (OBVS), which specializes in helping people whose primary disability is blindness or vision loss go to work and stay independent. The office also oversees the Maryland Business Enterprise Program for the Blind. This program prepares individuals who are legally blind to operate vending, gift or food service businesses in public facilities.

  • The Workforce & Technology Center (WTC), a comprehensive rehabilitation facility in northeast Baltimore which offers career assessment services, career and skills training, job placement assistance, assistive technology services and support services.

In addition, DORS also operates the Disability Determination Services​ (DDS), which makes medical decisions about disability claims filed by Marylanders for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI).



Notice of Non-Discrimination

​The Maryland State Department of Education's Division of Rehabiltation Services does not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry/national origin, color, disability, gender identity/expression, marital status, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation in matters affecting employment or in providing access to programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups.

For inquiries related to the ​ MSDE Non-Discrimination P​olicy, please contact:

Agency Equity Officer
Equity Assurance & Compliance Office
Office of the Deputy State Superintendent for Finance and Administration
Maryland State Department of Education
200 West Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201-2595
410-767-0426 - Voice
410-767-0431 - Fax
410-333-6442 - TTY/TDD


DARE: Diversity, Awareness, Respect, Equity 

DORS is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace that values respect, sensitivity, awareness, equity, and aligns with the agency mission, values and goals.

DORS' Diversity, Awareness, Respect, Equity (D.A.R.E.) committee leads, shares, receives input, educates and upholds both the agency's and the ​committee’s mission, values and goals.

DORS Logo 

Maryland State Department of Education logo.
Disability Determination Services logo.U.S. Department of Education logo

The Vocational Rehabilitation program receives 78.7% of its funding through a grant from the U.S. Department of Education. For the Federal fiscal year 2022, the total amount of grant funds awarded was $48,610,998. The remaining 21.3% percent of the costs, $13,156,470, were funded by State appropriations.


Human Trafficking GET HELP

National Human Trafficking Hotline - 24/7 Confidential

1-888-373-7888 233733 More Information on human trafficking in Maryland

Customer Service Promise

The State of Maryland pledges to provide constituents, businesses, customers, and stakeholders with friendly and courteous, timely and responsive, accurate and consistent, accessible and convenient, and truthful and transparent services.

Take Our Survey

Help Stop Fraud in State Government

The Maryland General Assembly’s Office of Legislative Audits operates a toll-free fraud hotline to receive allegations of fraud and/or abuse of State government resources. Information reported to the hotline in the past has helped to eliminate certain fraudulent activities and protect State resources.

More Information