Frequently Asked Questions

I need a hearing aid and can’t afford one. Where can I get help?

If you are eligible for DORS services and you need a hearing aid to become employed, your DORS counselor will talk with you about the best way to obtain a hearing aid.

If you are not eligible for DORS services or if working is not your goal, here are some resources that may help you find out more about getting low or no-cost hearing services: Financial Assistance for the Purchase of Hearing Aids (pdf)

Are people who are deaf and under 18 years old eligible for DORS services?

DORS serves consumers as young as 14 years old in either the Pre-employment Transition Services (Pre-ETS) or Vocational Rehabilitation employment​ (VR) programs.

What if I need a sign language interpreter for a job interview?

DORS will work with the employer and you to get you the accommodations that you need for the interview process.

I want to go to Gallaudet.  Does DORS pay for college and graduate school?

DORS is not a primary funding source for any post-secondary education, but may assist with certain costs once an undergraduate student has applied for scholarships and grants.  DORS only assists with graduate school under very limited circumstances.
Will DORS help me look for a job?
DORS will help you get the skills and training you need to look for a job.
Will DORS help pay for a computer or other assistive technology?
When you meet with a DORS counselor, you will develop an Individualized Plan for Employment (IPE); DORS may help pay for assistive technology when it is part of the IPE.
I am Deaf/Hard-of-Hearing, but I also have another disability (mental illness, vision impairment, etc.); can DORS help me?
Yes. DORS works with many consumers who have more than one disability.
Do I need to tell an employer that I am deaf when I fill out a job application?
Each situation is different, so discuss this with your DORS counselor. However, in general ask yourself if you can do the job; if the answer is yes, then you may not need to disclose your disability on the application.
Two women, one who is signing with ASL. look at an ASL interpreter on a video screen.

DORS sometimes uses Video Remote Interpreting (VRI) for American Sign Language interpreting.

VRI is sent via videoconferencing where at least one person, typically the live interpreter, is at a separate location.

VRI is different than Video Relay Service (VRS). VRS allows people who are deaf to place telecommunication calls and is regulated by the FCC; VRI is a fee-based service.

DORS provides ASL interpreters for consumer appointments and has Rehabilitation Counselors for the Deaf in many agency locations. However, VRI can be used when a staff person does not have access to an interpreter, but needs to immediately communicate with a consumer who is Deaf/HOH.